2.18.2007

Buttons Galore

I have some sewing bits-n-pieces that were my grandma's. I don't sew. Neither did she really, but she liked to keep everything. Most of what I have are buttons, and there are a lot, plus some spools of thread, and then tiny bags of odds-n-end thread. Anyone know what I could do with all of these? Cerella, since you're a sewing/knitting diva, do you know? Or do you know of anything creative I could do to showcase the buttons? Here are some pictures of what I have. The buttons are all in smaller individual plastic bags. I love all this old stuff and would love to have it "out" rather than put away in boxes for years to come.And then I have this mechanism that I'm not sure exactly what it does, but it looks like perhaps it aids in making button holes? I am right, Cerella, do you know? Again, what can I do with this? (It's really kinda cool looking!)
And then I also have this old sewing machine accessories tin box. Which is really neat and looks to be in perfect condition, as all of these things appear to be. I love the color of this. Isn't it neat how things from this generation tend to be turquoise? Since that is my favorite color, I looooooove it. I might just have to set it this somewhere in the new house. I just am in need of some really creative ideas. My interior decorating brain is not working right now. Too many other things on my mind, which is why I need all of your help!

7 comments:

Alexis Jacobs said...

I wouldn't know the first thing of what to do with that stuff. It would make some great scrapbooking material though.

Chel said...

I love to use old buttons in my jewelry. The buttons with the little loops on the back (lots of the older ones have those) are perfect for groovy bracelets.

Chel said...

You can also string them the same way you do jewelry, but string long strands of them and use them as curtain ties.

Or take the flat ones and secure them to barrettes for unique ponytail holders.

My grandmother sewed, and I wish I had all of her leftover buttons.

A said...

Put the buttons in a big, unique, glass vase. Not that original but will be displayed!

Jamie said...

Val I was thinking find one of the old fashioned canning jars that has the pop top sort of lid and put the buttons in that and put on a shelf.

Also for the old sewing box, put your own mini sewing kit in it. Some thread, needles, scissors that sort of thing.

I am pretty sure the buttonholer is an attachment for a sewing machine. As far as I know there is really nothing you can do with it?

Cerella said...

Girl, you are soo sweet for thinking of me. I was going to suggest exactly what Anissa said. They would make a wonderful display. Definitely hold on to all of those buttons....they can actually be pretty pricey. I still have $300 worth of buttons that I just HAD to buy while in San Francisco! I plan on using them for sweaters that I knit. I've only knit 4 or 5 though....I really need to get to it! Also, Jamie's idea of using the tin for a mini sewing kit is a great idea. :)

Michelle said...

You gals are all so clever! I like the idea of putting them in a glass vase, that would look real neat! And, I agreee with AJ and think they would be awesome to use in scrapbooking too!! Maybe a neat little shadow box type of thing too...