4.01.2007

Wedding frustrations

I have this wedding coming up (that I am photographing) that I am dreading. DREADING. Not so much because of the bride or groom. They are both very nice people. But because they have NINE attendants EACH, not to mention 4 ushers, 1 ring bearer and 1 flower girl. This means a wedding party picture of 26 people. Oh. My. Lord.

I don't usually have problems with the bride or groom. It's when I have a wedding party this large, that I find myself frustrated with someone (and usually more than 1) in the wedding part who just can't cooperate like they should.

Example . . . a guy who tries to be funny and he is not (um, I'm just trying to do my job, not be your audience, and stop flirting for crying out loud!), or a groomsman (I'm not trying to be sexist, but it's almost always a groomsman) who is late putting off all the pictures, or a girl who thinks she has the wrong bouquet (they are all the same!), or a flower girl that lost her basket, or a bridesmaid feeding her son who is the ring bearer and two years old (hello, don't people know that making a two-year old walk down an isle is nearly impossible?!) . . . and I usually get this with just a wedding party that is 8 persons big. Not 26.

Oh, and as far as the wedding coordinator. That's me also. I pin boutonnieres on lappelles, I dry off the tips of all the wet bouquet stems, I run here, there and everywhere to gather up individuals for their pictures (for the twentieth time), I tuck in shirts and fold handkerchiefs because no man knows the proper way, I hold bouquets, I fluff dresses. I really should be getting paid more.

Why I even do what I do, I don't know? Oh wait, yes I do. I love it . . . most of the time. And this wedding party of 26 people is making me want to retire. Can I retire at 31? Man am I dreading this wedding.

Vent over.

Oh wait. Question. How many attendants did you have in your wedding party? Are you glad you did it that way or wish you had done it differently. Do tell!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!!!! that is a big wedding party
ill be thinking and praying for u

Alexis Jacobs said...

Yikes! That will be one heck of a wedding. We had 5 on each side. It was a perfect number IMO.

Erin said...

26???? Yikes!!!! We had 4 each, just great...except that 2 of my bridesmaids are no longer very close friends and 3 out of 4 of Jer's groomsmen are no longer in touch. So for that part, smaller and more selected would have been better. I wish I had all the friends I have now, my party would have been much better. But oh well, we were young.

Erin said...

Oh and good luck with the photo shoot! and all the wedding prep stuff. You can do it!

Southern jezeBelle said...

This is fun since our first anniversary is this month! I had four attendants and J had three. I'd have only had three to but then he told me to ask his sister who was the total pain in the (insert choice word here) because OhMyGoodness the world didn't revolve around her for once little ol' day. Anyway, we also had (get ready to shreik in sheer terror!) SEVEN kids in the wedding. Two Jr. Bridesmaids who were 9 and better behaved than all the grown men. A ring bearer (6), two bell ringers (both 4) , and two flower girls (3 and 2). I realize that you can't make kids do anything, but we had a very relaxed outdoor ceremony. The shots with the little ones were all candids of us with them. We didn't attempt to make them all stand pretty and still for a group formal shot. It turned out well, but again, we're pretty laid back.

Unknown said...

Mrs. M . . . I love brides like you who are laid back! They make the day (for everyone) much more enjoyable!

Erin, I'm like you and would have a few different people now. I still keep in touch with all of them, but over the 8 years of marriage, I've learned who the truest of the true are!

If I were to do it over I would have 3 or 4 bridesmaids. I had SIX and I thought that was a lot! We also had 4 ushers, 1 ring bearer and 2 flower girls. EEK. Today I feel badly for my photographer. He was great, though, and my attendants were all on time and very cooperative.

Normally I would even cringe at 6 attendants at a wedding that I shoot. But these a days it's very normal. I have one wedding this year that have ZERO attendants and one that has 2. I can't WAIT for these. It just makes it oh so much more pleasant.

mama2dibs said...

Sounds exciting! We had 4 groomsmen, 4 bridesmaids and a jr. bridesmaid, 1 flower girl, 1 ring bearer and 2 ushers. I think that Brooke was like 3 and Andrew was 6. The best part of the day was two-fold. First and foremost, my dad officiated the wedding and secondly we got married at my childhood elementary school, which was also where Chris proprosed to me. As far as pictures go though...we should have paid a little more for the photography. One of the groomsmen followed behind with his digital camera and took better pictures for free. Oh well, too late to do it all over again...besides, WHO WOULD WANT TO?

Michelle said...

Wow! That's a lot of people to try and deal with! You will do great though, no doubt.

We had 3 each...but, you already know that, cause, yeah, you were one of them :) And, a ring and flower, which, our flower was still pretty young, but she did great! Oh, and 4 ushers, I do beleive. That number worked out great for us!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm that girl. We had 8 each, 4 ushers, 2 flower girls and a ring bearer. Plus, we had two greeters who were in some of those pictures that you took. :) So, good news is, you've done it before. Sorry for being one of those gals. ;)

Anonymous said...

Four each for us, and I think we were pretty laid back, too. (Would you agree, dear photog?) We're going to a nine-on-each-side circus--I mean, wedding--this summer and I can definitely see it being a headache! Good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

We opted to have no attendants at all, and it was the best decision we made regarding our wedding.

Unknown said...

Jo, as I already told ya, you were not (no way, no how!) "one of those gals" :) You were the best bride EVER!! If I could pick you as every one of my brides . . . I would!! xo

Unknown said...

And Katie, you are also a dream bride (and David a dreamy groom, hehe) . . . you guys were marvelous. I have such great memories from your wedding . . . and from Jo's up above. xo

Corie said...

Val, you know that we had 9 attendants (5 for me, 4 for Keith) and one usher and one flower girl. I loved our wedding party and I wouldn't have changed a thing. But, I must admit, I never thought about how the size of a wedding party would affect you, our photographer. If you thought our wedding party was too large, you never showed it. You were always happy and upbeat AND you were 8 months pregnant! I remember seeing you at our reception around 8:00pm, still on your feet, wondering how on earth you were surviving!
Did I ever tell you thank you for still shooting our wedding?!? I sure hope I did!!!!