3.30.2007

Come out, come out, wherever you are!


There's actually a word for people who read blogs but never comment and that is a "bloiter". I think I have a few bloitering souls reading my blogs. Some of them have came out the bloitering closet like Johanna and Sara (*waving hi*). It's always nice to see new names pop up when I do know you're out there . . . I have ESP, ya know? (It's also called a stat counter - - hehe - - which tracks where in the world you are reading my blog from. Sneaky, eh?)

I think it's a funny term, but it makes total sense. (You know the term "loitering", right?) At first it didn't bother me that some of my readers read but don't comment, however, now that I have pondered it a little bit, it does bother me some. And I think it bothers other people too, hence the little "no bloitering" logo that is located to the left. If you'd like to get one of these yourself, please hop on over to Bringing Good Home where you can get one of her free graphics.

Why does it bother me? Well, because I feel there are three main reasons why some of my readers do not comment and that is 1) you don't want to be known, 2) you have nothing to say, or 3) you don't know how to comment. It appears to be #3 for many of you, my mom being one.

I realized my mom did not know how to comment and was interested in doing so when she was over the other day and said "how is it I can comment on your blog?". I was like "mom, it's so simple!". So I showed her, and here's my little tutorial for you as well. Really, it is very simple, and it takes just 3 seconds to do a comment. Less if you're really good at it.

How to comment on blogger:

After any given post you will see some info similar to this at the end of it: 8 comments.

  • You want to click on "8 comments" (any time a word has an underline under it or is highlighted a different color, it usually means it's click-able and will take you to another page or another website).
  • You will then see other peoples' comments. If there are no comments here, it will read "no comments yet". This means you can be the first!
  • Once you are on this new pop-up comment box, leave your comment in the box that says "leave your comment" . . . see how simple it is so far?
  • Now you are about ready to finish! Go down to where it says "choose and identity".
  • You now have 3 options: blogger identity (only if you have a blogger account do you use this one and if you have a blogger account, you probably already know how to comment), other, or anonymous. Obviously, if you don't have a blogger account, you click "other", where you will then be prompted to type in your name and/or web page but both of these options are optional, or you click "anonymous" and you can choose to remain anonymous or else in your comments area, you can sign your name.
  • You are done! SIMPLE AS THAT!

I'm a comment queen. I love to comment and let others hear my thoughts. It's just about my only adult conversation on a given day - it's my outlet! And sometimes people even respond to my comments by email or by commenting in their own comment area -- woo-hoo! -- the highlight of my day; conversation! It's also one of the reasons why I love to have comments. It's something I look forward to, especially when my kids are driving me up the wall and I need a break from insanity. My blog usually keeps me sane on most days.

So, until you start commenting, you will for now on be a "bloiter". Bloiters, you know who you are! Come out, come out, wherever you are! C'mon make my day, please!?

18 comments:

Erin said...

oh, this is too great! I know I have bloiterers too (that's a fun word) and I wonder how many don't know how to comment. I may just post something along the same lines about how to comment...great idea!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link
I have a bloggie friend whose father comments on her blog regularly I think its lovely
And my sister commented on my blog yesterday I was surprised and it made my day
I love blogging and as Val has said it is easy make her day too all you bloiters

Alexis Jacobs said...

Not sure if I know how to comment...

Unknown said...

Good job, Alexis! Way to go! Was this your first time???? See, wasn't that easy?? :-)

Southern jezeBelle said...

I came out of the bloitering closet yesterday! Throw some confetti, would you?

Deborah said...

*waving*

I came across your blog via Alexis's...

Come check out mine, if you get a chance:

http://littlebitinteresting.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

BUSTED. No wonder you weren't so surprised when I told you that I was a stalker. You KNEW ALL ALONG! You stinker! oh well, I'm busted. Consider me scoulded. :)

Jamie said...

I think I followed the directions correctly ... lets see if it shows up ! : P

Anonymous said...

Hey man, I may be semi-busted. I leave comments here and there. :)
Sara

Corie said...

I am so glad to know that I am not one of your bloiters!
Comments just make my day! I'll always try to comment and keep your "adult conversation" going! :)

Cate said...

I really don't know what to say but after that post I feel as if I must say something, LOL.

Anonymous said...

Not a bloiter.

I would like you to know that now I cannot stop saying "bloiter". Love saying that. And thanks for the graphic link. I need this, too.

Unknown said...

Cait, you crack me up! :)

Thanks to all my bloiters up above. You now go down on my "favorite bloiters list" :)

:-p

Unknown said...

Val,

you ARE the comment queen! Thanks for leaving all of the nice comments on my blog, I am now going to start returning the favor!

Jen said...

Here I am. I feel I've run out of time to even read postings. This new job is taking more of my time than I expected!! When I get on your site I usually have time to read that days post. There are many of your postings I need to go back and read because I didn't get to get on my computer every day. I'm so sorry. I use to have more time pre-job. This stinks. I miss my blog world. Miss you!!

Jen

Unknown said...

Jen, don't worry, you aren't a bloiter. A bloiter has never commented! :) I will talk to you soon bcz I have some thanking to do:):):):):)

Anonymous said...

Ok, you caught me! I stumbled on your blog from SN and love reading it! You've got a quirky sense of humor, just like me. Not to mention I like following your house-selling/building saga since we're leading the same life right now.
Hope you don't mind me reading. I'll start commenting more now that I know how. I keep thinking I should try starting one of these things, but it's all very intimidating to a feeble-minded computer idiot like me!

mama2dibs said...

I'm so glad you posted that. I try to leave comments for the mere fact that I LOVE getting comments myself!